Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Great buys still available at the LCBO
Vintages – Recent Releases (March 20th; April 3rd)
Here are some great Reds that are still available in the Vintages section of the LCBO. In most cases these are wines that you can drink now, but if you do have a proper cellar I have also listed how long you may keep them. With each selection I have given a brief description of the wine, when it is drinkable, the rating, price and LCBO code number. Also, if you would like to read more about the wine (critic notes, food pairing, etc.), it is quite simple, just follow these steps:
1. Go to www.winealign.com
2. Set up a free account by clicking “sign up” in the top right corner
3. Enter your email address, enter a username; enter a simple password that you will remember and your postal code (to identify the LCBO nearest you.
4. Click the “Create my Account” button at the bottom and you are done.
5. To search one of the wines below, look for the “search” window in the top right corner. For the Gallo Barelli Creek; type in the LCBO code (555615) and click "Go"
6. You will now see a brief overview of the wine. Click on the wine name and you can review all the details and comments on the wine.
7. If you would like to see all of the the bi-weekly reviews from Wine Align, you can subscribe for just $40/year. It’s certainly worth the price. Enjoy!
My Red Wine Picks
Gallo Barelli Creek; Cab. Sauvignon 2006, Alexander Valley, Sonoma County
Drink now to 2020 or longer; Rating (91) Price $34.95; LCBO #555615
Bodegas Lan Reserva 2004, Doca Rioja; Spain
Drink now to 2012; Rating (90); $19.95; #42929
Château Rouquette Sur Mer Cuvée Amarante 2007, Ac Côteaux Du Languedoc La Clape (Midi) France
A nice syrah, drink now or cellar for a few years; Best Buy from Mar 20/10 release; Rating (91); $17.95 #156273
Guyot Le Millepertuis Crozes Hermitage 2007, Ac; Rhone, France
Medium bodied, drink now. Rating (88); $22.95; #73890
Viña Zaco Tempranillo 2006, Doca Rioja; Spain
Drink now through 2012; Rating (89); $14.95; #146209
Domaine De La Croisette Côtes Du Rhône 2007, Ac; Rhone, France
Drink now; medium bodied young syrah; Rating (88)$13.95; #155465;
Los 800 2005, Doca Priorat; Spain
Let it sit for 1 year, best 2011 to 2020; Rating (90); $19.95; #75150
Seifried Estate Pinot Noir 2008, Nelson, South Island; New Zealand
Light bodied, sip or serve with mild fish, or herbed chicken or pork; Good value Pinot; Rating (88); $19.95; #707778